Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Day 1 - 3

Well, Day 1 of treatment #3 is almost in the bag.  By the time we got to the room last night, got unpacked, met the night nurse, etc, treatment did not get underway until @ 1:00am.  Steven and I were both exhausted.  I went to sleep around 12:00 am and didnt even wake up when they came in to start the meds at 1:00 am.  I slept till 7:30 am, talked to mom and the girls on their way to daycare, had breakfast and then went back to sleep until 2:00 pm!!!


Steven woke up around 7:30 am when they came in to start the IL-2.  The IL-2 is the drug that causes 95% of the bad side effects he has. That is why he was able to get a good nights rest with no side effects, he had no IL-2 in him yet. Since they started the IL-2 at 7:30 he was able to order and eat some breakfast  (honey nut cheerios) before the side effects kicked in.  At 2:00 pm the chills kicked in.  He wanted to see if he could just tough it out and use blankets and not take Demerol.  I let him know how silly that idea was and within about 5 minutes he agreed and got the Demerol.  Within seconds the chills stopped.  Gotta love the magic drugs! He calls it the the truth serum.  I'm happy to say EVERY single time he has had the Demerol on every treatment, he immediately starts telling me how much he loves me and how happy he is that I am here with him, etc, etc. Glad to hear the truth come out ;) Love him so much!! About 10 minutes later he was nauseous from the Demerol and took ABH which is an anti-nausea medicine (combo of Ativan, Benadryl, and Haldol).  After the Demerol and ABH, he was out.  He slept until about 7pm.  When he woke up, he was still feeling "blah" overall.  He watched TV for a bit, ate a couple of bites of hummus and pita bread, drank a Gatorade and is now sleeping again.  He will most likely be out for the remainder of the night minus the random vitals check, medicine bags being changed, etc.  I slept a lot today, so not sure how early I will be able to fall asleep.  I plan on reading some more of The Hunger Games, and maybe playing some online poker.  I will update again tomorrow.  Night!

No comments:

Post a Comment