Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Zelboraf 3x3

So, on Wed (the 24th) of last week, Steve restarted the Zelboraf at a lower dose (3 pills in the am and 3 in the pm).  Everything was ticking along just fine until last night.  Steve called me on his way home to tell me he had started feeling bad at work.  He was having chills and was extremely fatigued.  He was so fatigued he wanted me to talk to him on his drive home so that he didn't fall asleep while driving! 

When he got home, I took his temp and it was 101.  I gave him Tylenol and he went directly to bed.  I checked his temp about 2 hours later and it was 101.1.  So, it was not going down with the Tylenol.  Around midnight, before I got in bed, I felt his head and he felt as it his fever had broke.  I did not want to wake him because I did not want him to have difficulties falling back to sleep since it was so late. 

This morning when I woke him, I took his temp.  It was 101 again.  Now he had the severe joint pain like the last go around (not quite as severe as the last go around, but enough where he could barely move his arms/hands and barely get out of bed).  He also has a severe head to toe rash.  I gave him more Tylenol and his fever broke pretty early in the morning.  He worked from home today and got a lot of work accomplished. 
 Rash - Left Arm - Pictures do not do it justice (Yes, I am married to a hairy beast)
Right side of back
 Left side of back

Right arm and side

I spoke with the PA from his doctor's office and she said for him to go ahead and try 2x2 once he gets rid of the fever, pain, rash, etc.  Hopefully he will be able to tolerate the 2x2 and then he can try to go back up to 3x3 at a later date.  If not, we will have to explore other treatment options. 

This evening, the fever is back.  Around 5 Steve started having the chills again.  I took his temp and it was 101.7.  I really needed to rotate and use Motrin, but for some reason I could not find it anywhere.  So, he had to have more Tylenol.  He got up about 8:30 and I warmed his dinner up.  He ate, played with the kiddos and is now watching some TV.  The fever is gone (for now and hopefully for good!) and he is just having the extreme joint pain.  The rash LOOKS horrible, but luckily for him it doesn't actually itch too much.

Hopefully he feels up to our Halloween block party tomorrow night.  I know if he feels like he does tonight he won't :/

Hope everyone has a good night and a Happy Halloween!

Missing my baby brother tonight - Dustin Salas 2/1/83 to 10/31/08 - Love and miss you forever!


  1. yikes - I've had that ZelboRASH! No fun. Although I never really got it on the 3x3 dose. Just on the 4x4. Now with Ipi I have some weird rash marks here or there... but nothing too big. Hope it starts feeling better!

  2. Thanks, Erin!! Once he gets the fever/joint pain/rash out of his system he is going down to 2x2. They are hoping his body will get used to the 2x2 and he will be able to go back up to the 3x3. He goes for scans and a follow up appt in 2 1/2 weeks. I guess we will go from there.

    We NEED the Zelboraf to work for at least 6 months (probably only 5 actually at this point. Dr. Kim said he would remove the clavicular lymph node if he has nothing new in 6 months. That would basically but him NED minus a tiny spot on his lower left lobe that has never been biopsied for melanoma (because it is so tiny).

  3. I wish I found you blog sooner, I have recently lost my father from melanoma. I would like to talk to you more, can I please contact you via e-mail, my dad was on Ipi treatment for his melanoma and also had the swelling lymph node in the neck. I feel so lost without him now.

  4. Dear Anonymous,

    I am very sorry to hear about your father. I would like to talk to you more about your dad. Please feel free to contact me at jennifer23martin@gmail.com